Monday, November 24, 2014

"Tail" of Mass Destruction

Unfortunately, living in the 21st century does not automatically free from technological issues. Hence the reason why I have not been able to post anything in awhile. But here I am and ready to get to the topic at hand! Or rather tail maybe…

It has been a really long time since I have had a dog with a long tail. My two dogs who preceded Missy both had docked tails so I never had to worry about stepping on them or worry about their tails getting snarled and messy. Apparently that was also one less appendage to cause household destruction.

See, Missy has a long, wavy, beautiful tail. It is like a pendulum that hypnotizes the mind when she is happy. Swish, swish, back and forth, back and forth, so pretty!…hem hem. Anyway.

Personal Image
The result of this long and wavy (did I mention hairy?) tail is that it has the extreme tendency to knock things over. A lot. Left an empty soda can on the coffee table? Not anymore, because Missy’s tail knocked it off. Left some loose leaf paper lying around? Prepare for a paper trail because the velocity of her tail wind (pun intended) blew them away. I call it---dum dum da!---the Tail of Mass Destruction. Ok, it does not cause total destruction, merely small mishaps, but I think it is so cool that her tail has a name.

Of course the wagging goes into hyper drive when she gets excited, most often when she sees me getting ready to go outside. Since we seem to have skipped November and December and gone straight to January in terms of the wretchedly cold and snowy weather it takes me about five minutes to bundle up in my barn gear to feed the horses.

Missy runs through the kitchen and waits, not very patiently, while I get dressed and her tail hits everything. Thump, thump against the wall. Swish, swish against the hanging coats. Clunk, clunk…wait, why the clunk? Resting on a low sill in the wall under the hanging coats resides some miscellaneous items, most notably a conch shell from somewhere and a short piece of PVC pipe. I did call them “miscellaneous” items after all.

I would guess that 99% of the times I take her outside through the kitchen door with me Missy’s tail manages to knock those darn things of the shelf, leaving me to constantly pick them up. Or not, depending on how lazy I am. But since I go out more than once a day, that provides plenty of chances for her to knock them on the floor.  

Since not wagging her tail is not an option, here are a couple of solutions I have come up to prevent Missy from causing chaos:
1.      This one is brilliant: Put lightweight items where her tail cannot reach!
2.      This one is pretty cool too: Let her outside before I get ready so she does not have time to knock anything over.
3.      Ok, number 3 is great from a training standpoint and it is something Missy and I practice on a daily basis anyway. That is the “wait” command.

“Wait” works for a variety of scenarios, such “wait” to take the biscuit, or “wait” to go through the door. I trained her with the verbal command as well as a hand signal similar to the human sign for “stop.” I just put my hand out, flat with the palm up in front of my chest where she can see it. I then release when I am ready and surprisingly she does better waiting for me to let her take a biscuit than she is waiting to go through a door. Maybe she sees it as a game or reward because there is food involved for the former.

Often times if I am going out for a quick jaunt in the yard I will make her wait in the doorway and make her follow me outside, instead of preceding me, but getting bundled into snow gear and making sure she follows my command can be taxing, especially when I have to run down the stairs to grab my muck-boots. 

Regardless of which option I choose to use on a continuous basis I think they all have one thing in common. The fallen items are really my fault because I leave them within tail reach, or do not enable the “wait” rule.  So every time I say “Missy, you darn dog,” I really mean “Heather, why did you leave that in that spot?”

Do you have a “tail” of mass destruction? Or something you left where you shouldn’t for your dog to snatch? I would love to compare stories. Happy tails!

Personal Sketch


No comments:

Post a Comment